Check Your Settings
If the app installs properly, perform the below steps on the executable file. If the installer won’t run, try the same procedure on the installer executable. In one case, you may be trying to install a program that’s actually malware. When your antivirus detects this, it will hopefully block you from installing that app.
The operating system provides a number of options that let you reset your Windows 10 computer to an earlier state. Unfortunately, this has not worked for all users because the update can also break settings menus. But, if this does work, then I would also strongly suggest you install the Windows Update troubleshooter and proactively block KB to stop it from coming back. If Windows Update is still failing, you might want to consider going to Microsoft to download the update directly.
9 My Installer Tells Me I Don’t Have Enough Free Disk Space
- If that doesn’t help, ask for help on the wine-users forum.
- You may have a messed-up .wine directory (aka wineprefix).
- If you’re running a graphics-heavy application using a video card with very poor drivers such as an ATI card under Linux, https://wikidll.com/microsoft/ssdpsrv-dll performance will degrade substantially.
- Fake or infected DLLs can cause you great pain, even on Wine.
- You can then copy the log from the screen and paste it into a file if it’s short; otherwise redirect the output of wine to a file using a Unix shell redirection, e.g.
- For instance, if you install an app that starts a service when the system boots, and that service crashes, you’ll see a crash every time you start wine.
That said, Ed recommends taking the extra minute and using Advanced Options. He says, "That runs the troubleshooter as an admin and allows it to fix a wider range of problems." Right-click on the app’s executable file and choose Properties. In the resulting window, swap to the Compatibility tab. Here, you can choose to Run this program in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.
It’s probably not a bad idea to bookmark the Download Windows 10 page on the Microsoft site. From there, open File Explorer, navigate to the Windows folder, and delete the folder called SoftwareDistribution. This will bring up the full Troubleshooting panel. You’ll want to select "Fix problems with Windows Update." This will bring up the Windows Update troubleshooter. I didn’t feel I needed to use Advanced options, so I just hit Next.
Instructions for using Windows to format and partition your hard drive when installing the operating system on a boot drive. Hopefully, you have fewer hiccups now that you know how to reset your Windows 10 PC. And if you’re planning on selling or giving your laptop away, you can do it with peace in mind that the next owner won’t have access to your files. Select Just remove my files or Remove files and clean the drive if you chose "Remove everything" in the prior step. Reformatting your PC or restoring to an earlier state can clean out any pesky background programs and wipe your computer’s hard drive of any unneeded files.